- Kimberly Service will transition to our Building Instructional Coach for the SY 2020-2021. She will still be a support for students and lead learning and support for all staff in the building. As the 2020 Secondary Teacher of the year for the district we are glad she is transitioning into a leadership position to support her colleagues.
- Martha DeVries (pronounced de-freeze), Lead College and Career Coordinator
- “I am joining Sumner Academy as I enter my 26th year in education. I started as an English teacher in Florida, moved to North Kansas City and worked as an ELL teacher and as a school counselor, and just finished three years at an international school In Hong Kong. I have a long history with IB as a school counselor, university adviser, and workshop leader. I’m married to Mike and two daughters (both IBDP grads) Hannah and Haley. I love to do yoga, hike, read, write bad poetry, and binge watch crime dramas.”
- Mr. Paul Gilmore, Physical Education
- “I am so excited to embark the next step of my journey with you. I am a native of Asheville, North Carolina and moved to Kansas City in 2017. Prior to my transition from North Carolina, I obtained a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology. After graduating, I pursued a lifelong goal and attempted to play in the National Football League. During this time, I also became heavily involved with the youth in Asheville, North Carolina and my experiences cultivated the desire to impact lives through teaching. Soon after, I enrolled in the University of Missouri-Columbia and graduated December 2019 with a Master of Education in Learning and Curriculum. I have worked in USD 500 for four years as both a coach and staff member. My goals with USD 500 include establishing partnerships with the students, parents and staff and being a positive light while serving the district and community. As community involvement is my passion, I still have ties to my hometown through a radio broadcast as an air personality. My other hobbies include two-stepping, cooking, music and exercising. I am also looking forward to my wedding this year so let’s hope that things work out with this Covid-19 pandemic.”
Please join me in welcoming our new staff for SY 2020-2021 to the Sumner Academy teaching staff!